The Beaumont case is still not closed despite finding no human remains at an Adelaide factory.The disappearance of the Beaumont children remains an open investigation with police vowing to do “anything humanly possible” to solve the 50-year mystery.
Excavation at a factory site in Adelaide was called off late on Friday after failing to find the remains of nine-year -old Jane, Arnna, seven, and four-year-old Grant, who went missing on Day in 1966.
Police have expressed disappointment in the result but say the case will never be closed until it is resolved.
“We will always do anything humanly possible to locate the Beaumont children and take them home to their family,” Chief Superintendent Des Bray said
“I don’t think there’s anybody in the country who doesn’t want to find the Beaumont children.”
After converging on the North Plympton factory, police excavated a three-metre deep pit but failed to find anything of significance.
Supt Bray said some bones were recovered but were clearly not human and it appeared the area had been used as a dump at some stage.
“Sadly this means for the Beaumont family that we still have no answers,” he said.
However, the major crime chief said leads and clues were still coming in at the rate of about 10 a month and anything of interest would be followed up.
“This is something that we don’t give up on,” Supt Bray said.
“There are always persons of interest in relation to the disappearance of the Beaumonts and I suspect there always will be.”
Friday’s excavation was sparked by recent scientific studies which revealed signs of a large hole dug on the North Plympton site at around the time the children went missing.
The site had been owned by businessman Harry Phipps who was previously named as a person of interest in the case.